There are many different methods for treating recovery. Finding the best fit for you can be difficult and discouraging if it takes you a while to find the right program. One treatment that might be beneficial is experiential therapy. This allows you to experience new things, connect with others on the same journey, and find who you are sober. For these reasons, Spero Recovery utilizes getting active with experiential treatment as part of our recovery programs. Reach out today for more information at (303) 351-7888.
Benefits of Getting Active
There are mental and physical benefits to being active, especially when getting active outdoors. An article published by the National Library of Medicine in Jan 2012 talks about studies that show the benefits of connecting with the Earth. These studies show that connecting with the Earth can help reduce pain and stress and improve sleep habits.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture published an article in March 2021 that discusses the physical and mental benefits of getting active outdoors. Physical benefits can include improved sleep habits, lower risk of cancer, and decrease heart rate and muscle tension.
Mental benefits include decreased risk of depression, improved focus, and prevent the feeling of isolation. Increased positive outdoor environments can improve the community as a whole as well. It can help decrease air pollution and crime rates. You may also see an increase in positive interactions with neighbors and fitness levels within the community.
Getting Active With Experiential Treatment
Experiential treatment uses different activities to help you express your thoughts and emotions to help you work through your problems. There are multiple types of experiential therapy, such as:
- Adventure Therapy- involves participation in outdoor activities. This helps you build confidence in yourself and your abilities, as well as the time to work through your problems.
- Art Therapy- the use of different art forms to express your thoughts and feelings. It can give you the outlet you need, especially when you can’t verbally convey.
- Music Therapy- listening to music can help promote relaxation. You can also use it to express emotions through the choice of song/music that you are listening to.
- Animal Therapy- equine therapy is the use of animals to help establish trust and work on communication skills.
How Getting Active With Experiential Treatment Benefits My Recovery
Getting active with experiential treatment can help you during your recovery in a variety of ways.
- Meeting New People- participating in new activities can connect you with new people who can become important parts of your new sober life. These people can help you stay motivated and accountable to your sobriety, especially if they are also on their recovery journey.
- Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone- trying new things can help you discover things that you love and truly enjoy doing. These activities could be things that you thought you would hate, whether because of your perceived skill level or comfort in the activity. Starting with one thing can also push you to try more things and find who you are now.
- Expressing Yourself- it can be difficult to verbalize your thoughts and emotions. Experiential treatment can help you build confidence and find the best way for you to convey yourself.
- Finding Who You Are Sober- you are a new person now. Things that you enjoyed prior to and during your substance use time may not be things you enjoy or should participate in now that you are sober. Trying these different activities and hobbies can help you figure out what fits you and your new sober lifestyle.
Spero Recovery Uses Getting Active With Experiential Treatment
We are a recovery program located in Evergreen, Colorado. Our use of grants and donations helps us keep our costs below the national average. This makes us the perfect match for underinsured, uninsured, and low-income individuals seeking help.
The inpatient recovery programs are separate for men and women. There are different needs for men and women that need to be met for you to have the best opportunity at long-term sobriety.
Alumni of the programs are brought back to help lead experiential treatment sessions. Bringing alumni back helps you feel more comfortable confiding in someone. It can also give you hope that you too can be successful and act as motivation to keep working on your recovery. The alumni benefit because they get to connect with others working on their recovery. They also get to give back to their community and find a sense of purpose through helping you.
The experiential sessions they run can include a variety of activities. Some of these are sand volleyball, hiking, nature walks, woodworking, meditation, biking, and rock climbing. We believe that the use of trying new activities can help you express yourself, step out of your comfort zone, and figure out who you are in your new sober lifestyle. Getting active with experiential treatment can help your physical and mental wellness.
Being active has been seen to have mental and physical benefits. Getting active can help reduce stress, depression, anxiety, blood pressure, and increase your self-esteem. These benefits can greatly be seen during recovery. Participating in experiential treatments that get you active gives you the chance to connect with others, reduce stress, and find a new outlet. If you feel like you are struggling to get active during your recovery journey, reach out to Spero Recovery at (303) 351-7888 for more information today. We understand what you are going through and want to help you. We use a variety of different experiential treatments to help you get active and help you on your recovery journey.