In 2019, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reported that nearly 5.6 percent of women aged 18 years or older had a substance use disorder (SUD), totaling nearly 7.2 million women in America. Despite the high prevalence of SUD among women in the United States, many treatment centers tend to minimize the differences that women and men often face when it comes to recovery. One of these differences is the heavy stigma and shame of women being in recovery, which has caused numerous women to hesitate or avoid seeking treatment altogether.
The Need for Women-Focused Recovery Groups
For effective treatment and recovery to occur, programs must teach women about the value that recovery can have on their life. Treatment programs must work to end the stigmas that surround recovery while empowering women to engage in self-love during their healing process. This is the basis of SHE RECOVERS.
The SHE RECOVERS Foundation is more than just a program, it’s a movement. The foundation consists of more than 325,000 women who are in recovery or are seeking recovery from any and all of life’s challenges, including SUD, behavioral health issues, and/or other emotional challenges. This organization helps women connect with other women through its in-person and virtual community networks so that individuals can support one another during their own healing process. It is important to recognize the value of this lifeline organization so that women can know that they have readily available, direct access to recovery resources and support whenever they need it.
SHE RECOVERS: Intentions and Guiding Principles
To better understand the mission of SHE RECOVERS, it may help to be familiar with the intentions and guiding principles of the organization. They are as follows:
- SHE RECOVERS believes that everyone is recovering from something.
- SHE RECOVERS sees the process of recovery as a journey to wholeness. Recovery teaches individuals how to take care of not only their bodies, but also their minds, emotions, and spirits.
- SHE RECOVERS understands that practicing radical self-love is key to establishing our well-being.
- A person does not have to experience rock bottom in order to pursue recovery. Instead, SHE RECOVERS believes in early intervention.
- SHE RECOVERS recognizes the importance of answering calls to heal past wounds and associated traumas so that women can live more fully in the present moment.
- Individuals must first engage in individual work in order to create a healing, welcoming space for everyone in recovery. SHE RECOVERS believes that all women deserve recovery.
- Women must be supported in order to identify the unique recovery pathways that work for them and to continually follow those pathways for the long term.
- SHE RECOVERS helps women to focus on their strengths, not their deficits. This is how true change can occur.
- SHE RECOVERS encourages women to recover out loud so that women struggling can feel invited to join the moment.
- SHE RECOVERS believes that connection is our sole purpose here. Women are stronger together.
How to Get Involved
There are many different ways to get involved with this organization. Each of these ways can help you to inspire hope, reduce stigma, and empower women to choose recovery over and over again.
Connect With Online Support
SHE RECOVERS offers a range of online support programs. Free, online gatherings take place regularly and are designed specifically for their community of women. They also offer critical conversation series to create inclusive and collaborative dialogues that are focused specifically on women’s healing, which are free online. SHE RECOVERS also offers yoga classes that you can take from the comfort of your own home.
Become a Sponsor
SHE RECOVERS actively promotes in-person sponsorship opportunities for women in Miami. Yearly conferences take place in Miami to help spread the word about the organization and the value that it has on long-lasting recovery, both in-person and online. Sponsors are recognized as individuals that promote connection, support, and empowerment for women struggling with mental health across the globe.
Become a Friend
SHE RECOVERS Friends of the Foundation (SRFOF) is a program that offers opportunities for individuals, organizations, and even small businesses to partner with the SHE RECOVERS vision—that all women deserve to be celebrated, supported, and are essential for the development of healthy communities.
As a SHE RECOVERS Friend, you will be able to provide an invaluable lifeline of support for women in recovery. You will also be able to market goods and services to help raise funds for the organization. Everyone deserves to have access to positive, quality friendships, and this organization helps to instill that.
Advocate With SHE RECOVERS
When women are ready to recover out loud, they may not have direct resources to do so. If individuals find value in the program, they are requested to create an impact statement so that they can inspire other women to seek or achieve long-lasting recovery. Your voice matters. You can make a difference in another woman’s recovery journey.
The SHE RECOVERS Foundation is a movement for women in recovery that emphasizes the importance of breaking stigmas and recovering out loud. SHE RECOVERS supports women who are going through or seeking recovery from SUD, behavioral health challenges, or other life distress. Through in-person meetings and online support groups, this organization helps women to connect with other women so that everyone can feel supported and empowered in their own unique healing journey. Spero Recovery is a residential treatment center that recognizes the value of SHE RECOVERS as well as its intentions and guiding principles. We encourage women to get connected with SHE RECOVERS during treatment and especially throughout long-term recovery so that they can feel continually supported throughout their healing journey. To learn more about our residential treatment program, or to get connected with SHE RECOVERS, give us a call today at (303) 351-7888.